Cafe Botannix Ginger Loaf
This simple recipe makes three loaves. While this may seem a lot, you will find that it is worthwhile as they keep well – if they last that long!
- 500g butter
- 2 cups water
- 800g golden syrup
- 6 cups flour
- 2 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 3 heaped tbsp ginger powder
- 2 tsp nutmeg
- 2 cups soft brown sugar
- Crystallised ginger pieces
- Pre-heat oven to 150C
- Line 3 loaf tins with baking paper. The mixture will rise so leave paper above the sides of the tin.
- Melt butter, water and golden syrup mix together in a pot or in the microwave. Stand aside to cool while you combine the dry ingredients.
- Mix all the dry ingredients in a large bowl.
- Add butter, water and golden syrup mix to dry ingredients.
- Mix well to ensure mixture is smooth with no lumps.
- Divide mixture evenly between 3 lined tins.
- Decorate the top of each loaf with pieces of crystallised ginger.
- Bake for about 1hr 15min at 150C. Avoid opening the oven door while cooking.
- Check each loaf with a skewer – when the skewer comes out clean, the loaves are cooked.
- Allow to cool for 15 min and then turn out of the tin. We recommend wrapping with cling film while they are still warm the ensure that they remain moist and soft.
- Slice into thick slices and serve with butter.