Vegetables have never tasted so good! Put a healthy spin on your regular cupcake recipe. The real icing on the (cup)cake is the dollop of cream cheese icing with a delicious drizzle of passionfruit.
- 2 1/2 cups self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 cups brown sugar
- 1 parsnip, peeled and grated
- 1 carrot, peeled and grated
- 1 medium beetroot, peeled and grated
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
- Rind and juice from 1 orange
- 1 1/2 tsp mixed spice
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 4 eggs, lightly whisked
- 300g sour cream
Pasisonfruit Cream Cheese Icing
- 250g cream cheese
- 80g butter, softened
- 1 1/2 cups icing sugar
- 1 tbsp passionfruit pulp
- Preheat oven to 180C. Line or grease muffin pans (this mixture makes 18 cupcakes)
- Combine flour, sugar, parsnip, carrot, beetroot, walnut, orange and mixed spice in a large bowl
- Whisk oil, egg and sour cream. Add to the flour mixture and stir to combine.
- Spoon the mixture evenly among the pan. Bake for 20 – 25 minutes or until a skewer inserted in the centres comes out clean. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- To make the icing, beat the cream cheese and butter until smooth and creamy. Add the icing sugar in batches, beating well after each addition. Add the passionfruit pulp and beat to combine.
- Spread the icing over the top of each cupcake, and add more passionfruit pulp if desired.