A side salad is an often overlooked but crucial element to any great Christmas day meal. If you are wanting to switch it up from the traditional greek or garden salads this year why not give this superfood salad a try? Katherine from the support office has shared her recipe which was a hit with her family last year, and so easy to put together!
- 1/4 Pumpkin
- 1 Red Onion
- 1 Red Capsicum
- 3-4 Handfuls of Rocket
- 2-3 Sprigs of Fresh Parsley
- 1/2 Lemon
- 1/2 Cup Quinoa (measured uncooked)
- 1 Cup Veggie Stock
- 4 Tbsp Sliced almonds
- 5 Tbsp Olive Oil
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Coriander
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cumin
- 1/2 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- 2 Tsp Honey or Maple Syrup
- Salt and Pepper
- Feta (optional)
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius and line two oven trays with non-stick baking paper.
- Chop pumpkin into small, even-sized chunks (roughly 2cm square) and place in a bowl.
- Whisk together 1 tbsp olive oil with honey/maple syrup, cumin, coriander, and cinnamon. Pour mixture over the pumpkin and mix until all pieces are coated. Spread the pumpkin out evenly on one of the baking trays.
- Cut up capsicum and red onion into thick slices and spread out onto the other baking tray. Drizzle over 1 tbsp of olive oil and toss.
- Place both trays in the oven and cook for 45 minutes or until they are soft and starting to brown at the edges.
- While veggies are cooking, make the quinoa. Rinse your quinoa and place in a saucepan with 1 cup water and 1 cup veggie stock. Bring your quinoa to a boil and then reduce the heat and allow to simmer, covered for 15 minutes.
- Once cooked keep the lid on your quinoa and allow it to sit for another 10 minutes before fluffing it with a fork.
- Once everything is cooked allow it all to cool to room temperature before combining.
- Take a large bowl and mix together the quinoa, roast veggies, rocket, sliced almonds, and chopped parsley. Drizzle over the remaining olive oil, add lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper. The optional choice is to add feta if wanting extra protein/you are not catering to vegans.
- Salad can be served immediately or can rest in the fridge for up to 4 days.