You only need three ingredients to make this velvety, rich tomato soup recipe. This will fast become your new favourite weeknight meal.
- 4 tbsp butter
- 1/2 large onion, cut into large wedges
- 4-5 large tomatoes (or 1 can tomatoes) – preferably peeled
- 1 1/2 cups water (you could also use chicken stock)
- 1 tsp salt to taste
- Basil to garnish
- Melt butter over medium heat in a large saucepan. Add onion wedges, water, tomatoes with their juices, and the salt. Bring to a simmer. Cook, uncovered, for about 40 minutes. Stir occasionally and add additional salt as needed.
- Blend the soup — it doesn’t need to be ultra-smooth, some texture is a nice touch.
- Garnish with basil and serve with some warm crusty bread