Palmers Franchise Systems Limited is committed to protecting your privacy because we understand your personal information is important to you and worth protecting. We have robust systems in place to provide you with services and information tailored to your individual needs while complying with our obligations under the Privacy Act 2020.
Information we collect from you
Most of the personal information we collect about you is provided by you directly during your interactions with us within our stores or via our website, www.palmers.co.nz, including when you become a member of our Palmers Rewards programme, when you create an account via our website and/or when you place an order for any of our products online.
We always take care to ensure that we only collect personal information needed to provide our services and help run our business. The types of personal information we may collect include:
- Contact and/or identification information – for example: your first and last name, email address, gender, date of birth, address, telephone and/or mobile number.
- General interest information, such as your gardening preferences and interests.
- Account and payment information, including bank and credit card details collected in connection with online or instore sales.
- Details of the products and services you have purchased from us when using your Palmers Rewards Card, or otherwise, together with any additional information necessary to deliver those products and services and to respond to your enquiries.
- Any additional information relating to you that you provide to us directly through our website or indirectly through use of our rewards programme, website or online presence through our representatives or otherwise; and information you provide to us through our customer contact centre or customer surveys.
- Video footage or still images, where our stores operate video surveillance systems (wherever you see video surveillance systems and/or a sign notifying you “CCTV IN OPERATION” or similar, including in-store, our carparks, cafes or inwards goods areas).
- Social contact information, including any communications via social media, complaints, feedback and other contact you have with us.
- Contact and similar information if you are a supplier or service provider, in connection with the supply of products and services by your business to Palmers.
- Digital information, such as cookies, pixels, software versions used, device identifiers (like IP address), location data (where available and not disabled by the user), dates, times, file metadata, referring website, data entered, and user activity such as links clicked, adding items to a basket and making a purchase.
You can choose not to provide your personal information to us, but this may impact on our ability to provide our products and services to you, the functionality of our website and we may not be able to sign you up to Palmers Rewards.
Information we collect from others
In certain circumstances, we may also collect personal information about you from third parties.
We’ll only do this if you have been informed first, where permitted by law or where you have authorised another agency to share that information. It is important that you read the privacy policies for all agencies you deal with, as you may be permitting the sharing of personal information with us when using those services.
We may collect personal information about you in the following ways:
- Publicly available sources – including from agencies such as the Companies Office, internet search platforms and social media platforms, such as Facebook and Linkedin.
- Anyone sharing information with us to help us manage loss prevention, retail crime and public safety, including other retailers and law enforcement agencies.
How we use personal information
We primarily use the personal information we collect about you to ensure that you receive the best products and services from us. We want to add value to your gardening and store experience – your personal information helps us to make ensure we get this right.
We may use your personal information for the following purposes:
- To fulfil orders and deliver products and services to you.
- Managing our relationship with you, including contacting you about your purchases and/or Palmers rewards account.
- Considering feedback and complaints that you may make to us.
- To determine your product or service preferences and preferred store locations or to direct you to your closest store when using our website.
- To undertake data processing, data analysis, market research or trend analysis.
- Enabling us to identify and make meaningful and relevant offers to you.
- Managing and monitoring our risks, including:
- preventing and detecting the commission of offences in our stores;
- ensuring the safety of our customers and team members;
- identifying and investigating health and safety hazards or incidents;
- product recalls;
- complying with our legal and regulatory obligations and any lawful requests from government agencies or regulators.
We may also use your personal information for other purposes, either after notifying you at the time of collection or where those uses are otherwise permitted by law.
How we share personal information
Sometimes, we need to disclose personal information to third parties for purposes in connection with, or directly related to, the purposes of collection listed above.
We may also disclose your personal information to:
- Trusted third parties involved in providing products and services to you, such as couriers, delivery companies, installers or suppliers.
- Our trusted service providers, who provide other administrative and operational services to us in connection with our business, such as IT service providers, advertising and media agencies and payment processers.
- Third party platforms who serve advertising or content (including personalised advertising) based on your personal information or preferences (including social media platforms such as Facebook).
- Debt collection agencies or credit reporters as part of the account set up and debt recovery process.
- The Palmers network, and other local retailers, where we reasonably believe it is necessary in order to protect staff, customers or property or to assist other businesses to do the same.
- A third party helping us to manage loss prevention, retail crime, damage to property and public safety, including other retailers and law enforcement agencies
- Our professional advisers, where required to enable any such adviser to provide services to us.
- Other persons disclosed to you at the time the relevant personal information is collected.
Opting out of offers
When you register as a Palmers Rewards member either instore or online, and/or you otherwise opt into our email newsletter your name and contact details will be added to our Palmers database and you consent to receiving messages from us by email.
From time to time, we will send you offers of products and services because we want to make sure we’re keeping you up to date with our latest store news and promotional offers.
There are occasions where you might not want to hear from us in this way and we completely respect that. You can opt out of receiving offers from us at any time. All electronic messages from us will contain an unsubscribe function if you no longer want to receive our promotional emails. Alternatively, you can request to unsubscribe when next in a Palmers store, call us on 09 4439910, reply to the email that you receive from us with the word unsubscribe or email email@example.com
If you wish to be removed from our unaddressed mail circulations which occur several times each year, please let us know by emailing your address to firstname.lastname@example.org or calling us on 09 443 9910
How we keep your personal information secure
The personal information we collect about you is held by Palmers, our stores and by our trusted data storage providers (which may include storage in ‘cloud’ facilities located in Australia and Singapore).
We take all reasonable steps to ensure that the personal information we hold is protected against loss, unauthorised use, access or disclosure and any other misuse, and we require our trusted service providers to do the same, even where they may store or process personal information overseas. However, please note that whilst we take appropriate technical and organisational measures to safeguard the personal information that you provide to us, no electronic transmission or storage can ever be guaranteed secure.
Where our stores operate CCTV systems, they ensure that access to CCTV footage is limited to staff who have a legitimate purpose to view and use it.
We retain your personal information only for as long as we need it for the purposes for which it was collected and to comply with our legal obligations and and we destroy the information we no longer need in a secure manner. CCTV footage is automatically deleted on a regular cycle, though in some cases it may be retained for longer where necessary to investigate an incident or assist the Police to investigate an offence.
Your rights to access or correct your personal information
You have the right to request a copy of any personal information Palmers holds about you, or to ask us to correct it if you believe it is inaccurate.
To make a request about your personal information, you can email us at email@example.com or write to us at Palmers Franchise Systems, PO Box 331586, Takapuna 0740
If you believe that your local store holds personal information about you – such as CCTV footage – please contact your local store to request it.
Links to other websites
Palmers website may contain links to other websites for your convenience and information. These websites may be operated by businesses not affiliated with us. Linked websites have their own privacy statement, which we suggest you review if you visit them.
We are not responsible for the content of any websites that we do not own or control, any use of those websites or the privacy practices of those businesses.
Cookies and Third Parties
We want our advertising and information on our websites and related services to be relevant and interesting.
Cookies are necessary to protect your privacy while disclosing your address details and while logging in and allow us to provide an optimal experience when using our website. Please note if you choose not to allow cookies, you may not be able to access all the services on our website.
We also promote our products and services using technology partners, such as Google Remarketing, as a method of targeting our advertising based on how you interact with our website. This enables us to serve targeted advertising to you (on our site and elsewhere).
You can opt out of Google’s, and our, use of these cookies by visiting Google’s Ads Preferences Manager.
In the unlikely event that you become aware of a potential data breach involving Palmers, please let us know immediately so we can fix it as quickly as possible. Please contact through emailing firstname.lastname@example.org or send a letter to Palmers Franchise Systems, PO Box 331586, Takapuna 0740
Any further questions or complaints
Where we have refused a request for access to, or correction of, personal information or where you have any other concerns about the way we have handled your personal information, you have the right to make a complaint.
In the first instance, please let us know about your concerns by contacting our team using the contact details set out above. We’ll do everything we can to put the matter right, but if we can’t resolve your complaint for you, then you have the right to make a complaint to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner by:
- Completing an online complaint form at www.privacy.org.nz; or
- Writing to the Office of the Privacy Commissioner, PO Box 10-094, The Terrace, Wellington 6143.
Last updated: 21 July 2021