Earth Day is an annual event celebrated on April 22. Worldwide, various events are held to demonstrate support for environmental protection. First celebrated in 1970, Earth Day now includes events in more than 190 countries.
The main focus of Earth Day 2022 is the ‘invest in our planet’ which calls on everyone to divest from unsustainable investments, and support eco-conscious brands and products to help send a clear message to corporate companies that consumers mean business.
All living things have an intrinsic value, and each plays a unique role in the complex web of life. We must work together to protect endangered and threatened species: bees, coral reefs, elephants, giraffes, insects, whales and more.
Here are some simple and easy tips to help you go green, protect the earth and make every day Earth Day. You can make a difference!
- Join a local park, river or beach clean up
- Plant a tree
- Replace your existing lightbulbs with energy saving ones
- Carpool, use public transport, walk or ride your bike to commute whenever possible
- Keep your car’s tyres properly inflated to get better mileage
- Reduce your use of single use plastics (bags, plastic bottles, straws)
- Donate your old clothes and home goods instead of throwing them out
- Change your billing preferences to receive online bills and invoices
- Use reusable bottles for water and reusable cups for coffee
- Pack your lunch in reusable containers or bags (click here for our DIY beeswax wraps)
- Grow your own food at home
- Compost kitchen scraps
- Turn off and unplug electronics you’re not using
- Water your garden deeply every 3-4 days instead of daily shallow watering
- Turn off lights when you leave a room