Sweet Leek Carbonara
If you enjoy creamy pasta, you will love our sweet leek carbonara recipe. It’s not too sweet or savory, just THE perfect in between. Leeks are rich in nutrients, they are low in calories and high in vitamins and minerals.
If you’re looking for a tasty meal with lots of health benefits, our Sweet Leek Carbonara is a must try.
- 2 Large Leeks
- 4 Cloves of Garlic
- 4 Sprigs of fresh thyme
- 1 knob of unsalted butter
- 1 tbsp Olive Oil
- 300g dried spaghetti
- 50g Parmesan or Pecorino Cheese
- 1 large free-range egg
- 400ml Water
- Trim, wash, and finely slice the leeks. Peel and slice the garlic into small diced cubes and pick the thyme leaves off of the stalks.
- Place the ingredients into a large casserole pan on medium heat with the butter and Olive Oil.
- Once sizzling, stir in the sliced leeks and 400ml of water, cover, and simmer gently over low heat for 40 minutes, or until sweet and soft, stirring occasionally. Season with sea salt and black pepper.
- When the leeks are soft, cook the pasta in a large pan of boiling salted water, then drain, reserving a mug full of starchy cooking water and set aside.
- Toss the drained pasta into the leek pan, remove from heat and let sit for 2 minutes for the pan to cool slightly.
- Finely grate the cheese and beat it with the egg.
- Loosen the egg mixture with a splash of the reserved cooking water, then pour over the pasta, tossing vigorously (the egg will cook in the residual heat)
- Season to taste with salt and pepper
If you don’t want this dish vegetarian, add some chicken and/or bacon.