Chocolate and Courgette Brownies
Yep, you read the right. Chocolate AND courgette, but trust us, with all the gooey, fudgy goodness, you won’t even notice that there’s courgette in there!
- 1 cup shredded courgette, squeezed of excess moisture
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup tahini (this can be substituted for almond butter, peanut butter will overpower the recipe).
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- ½ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup high quality cocoa powder (or cacao powder)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons melted and cooled coconut oil
- ⅓ cup chocolate chips, dairy free if desired
- ½ cup chopped walnut (optional)
For the topping
- 2 tablespoons chocolate chips, dairy free if desired
- 1/2 teaspoon coconut oil
- Fancy sea salt, for sprinkling on top
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees C. Line an 8×8 inch pan with baking paper and spray with nonstick cooking spray, or grease with butter.
- In a large bowl, add your shredded courgette, making sure it is squeezed of all excess moisture with a paper towel. This is very important!
- Next add in egg, tahini (or substitute), maple syrup, sugar and vanilla; stir until smooth. Gently stir in cocoa powder into the batter, mixing until well incorporated. Next add in flour, baking soda, salt and finally the melted coconut oil. Stir until well combined. Fold in chocolate chips (and walnuts if you are using them).
- Pour into prepared pan. Bake for 30-35 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the centre comes out with just a few crumbs attached (it should not be completely wet, but a little gooeyness is just fine). Allow to cool completely. This will be tough, but it’s the best way to make sure the bars stay together perfectly since they will be moist.
- Once ready for the chocolate drizzle: Add 2 tablespoons chocolate chips and coconut oil to a small microwave safe bowl. Microwave in 30 second increments, stirring in between, until chocolate is melted. Drizzle over zucchini brownies. Sprinkle with a little fancy sea salt (trust us, it’s good!). Cut into 16 squares.