The perfect addition to a BBQ lunch or picnic.
- 8 large sweetcorn cobs in their husks
- 5 birds eye chillies
- 25g butter, at room temperature
- 6 tbsp mayonnaise
- 75g finely grated parmesan
- 3 limes, cut into wedges, to serve
- If cooking the cobs in their husks, soak them in a bucket of cold water for at least 1 hour. Meanwhile preheat your gas grill section on BBQ. Add the chillies and blister the skin for 1 minute until they are toasted and slightly darkened. Remove the stalks, dice with a sharp knife and leave until cold, then put in a bowl and mix with the mayonnaise and set aside
- Drain the cobs of sweetcorn, then carefully peel back the outer leaves, leaving them still attached at the base. Pull away and discard the fine silky threads, spread the corn with butter, then sprinkle with salt. Pull the husks back around the corn and tie at the top with string. (If using peeled cobs, spread them with butter, season with salt and wrap in pairs in foil.)
- Place corn on the BBQ for 20-25 minutes or until tender. Pull away the husks (or foil, if using) and if the cobs haven’t browned very much, put them directly on the bars for a few minutes, turning every now and then, until they’re tinged with dark spots.
- Transfer the sweetcorn to a baking tray and spear the end of each cob with corn forks if you have them. Spread each one with chilli mayonnaise, then sprinkle with a little salt and a generous amount of grated cheese. Serve with lime wedges and devour.