Ingredients – makes approximately 12 x 200ml bottles
- 6.5kg tomatoes
- 4 large onions, roughly chopped
- 2kg sugar
- 100g salt
- 25g black peppercorns
- 25g whole cloves
- 25g whole allspice
- 500ml malt vinegar
- 1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
- Place the tomatoes and onions into a large heavy based preserving pan.
- Cook over a gentle heat until a reasonable amount of liquid has been released and then add the sugar, vinegar and salt.
- Tie the peppercorns, cloves and allspice in a piece of muslin and add to the pan.
- Gently boil the mixture for 2 – 3 hours until the mixture is thick, stir regularly.
- Pass the sauce through a mouli to remove seeds and skins. Alternatively, you can remove the skins and puree with a blender. Return sauce to the pan and bring to the boil. Remove from the heat and add cayenne pepper, stir to combine.
- Pour the sauce through a funnel into sterilised bottles and seal when cold.