As far as we are concerned roast potatoes are a main course all on their own. Cafe Botannix Takapuna’s very own Chef Pete has shared his secret to getting perfect, crispy roast potatoes every time and we are sharing the secret with you.
- Potatoes (we recommend Agria potatoes)
- Olive Oil
- Garlic Powder
- All-purpose seasoning
- Black Pepper
- Preheat oven to 230 degrees Celsius.
- Wash and cut your potatoes into roughly even-sized pieces.
- Place potatoes in a large pot of cold water and add 1-2 tbsp of salt (we know this seems like a lot but you will not be eating all this salt we promise).
- Bring the pot of potatoes to a boil and cook them until tender (will take around 10-20 minutes).
- Drain the potatoes and place them back into the pot.
- Stir potatoes in the pot with a large spoon or spatula, the aim is to smash them up just a little (this will create more surface area to go crispy in the oven).
- Place potatoes on a baking tray and coat them with olive oil (try to make sure they are all coated, but not soaked in oil).
- Season with garlic powder, paprika, all-purpose seasoning, salt, and pepper (to taste).
- Ensure all potatoes are spread evenly across the tray.
- Place in oven until they are golden brown and crispy, check regularly to ensure they do not burn.
- Turn off the oven but leave the potatoes in for an additional 5-10 minutes.