- 2 1/3 cups plain flour
- 1/4 cup caster sugar
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 120g unsalted butter, coarsely grated, frozen until firm
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely grated pumpkin
- 1/4 cup crystallised ginger, finely chopped
- 3/4 cup thickened cream, chilled
- 1-1/2 cup icing sugar, plus more for dusting
- 3 tbsp pumpkin purée
- 1/4 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves
- 1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees (200 degrees fan forced). Line a baking tray with baking paper. In a large bowl, mix flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt until combined. Using fingertips, rub butter into flour mixture until butter is in smaller pieces. Mix in pumpkin and ginger. Add cream and gently stir until a moist dough firms.
- Turn dough out onto lightly floured surface and gather together. Pat dough out to a 16cm x 20cm rectangle. Cut dough into 6 pieces and arrange on prepared tray. Cover and refrigerate for 20 minutes or until chilled.
- Bake for 25 minutes or until golden brown on both sides. Leave to cool completely on a wire rack.
- While scones are cooling, make the glaze by combining the icing sugar, pumpkin purée and spices in a small bowl. Whisk together until no lumps of the sugar remain.
- Once scones are cool spread the glaze over the top and dust with extra icing sugar.