- 5 granny smith apples, peeled, cored, chopped
- 1/3 cup caster sugar
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp finely grated lemon rind
- 6 rhubarb stems, trimmed, cut into 3cm pieces
- 2 tsp plain flour
- 1 cup rolled oats
- 1/2 cup plain flour, extra if needed
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 80g butter, chilled, chopped
- 1/4 cup flaked almonds
- Icing sugar, to serve
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees fan forced.
- Place apples, caster sugar, cinnamon, lemon rind and 2 tbsp of water in a large saucepan over a medium heat. Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until the apples start to soften.
- Add rhubarb and flour and cook, covered for 3 minutes or until rhubarb begins to soften. Move mixture to a baking dish.
- Combine oats, extra flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Using your fingertips rub butter into mixture until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs. Stir in almonds and sprinkle over the rhubarb mixture. Bake for 35 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes and dust with icing sugar. Serve.