The perfect way to make the most of your tomato haul!
- 1.5kg tomatoes, cored and cut into wedges
- 2 red capsicums, deseeded and cut into eighths
- 1 large onion, cut into thin wedges
- 4 cloves garlic, peeled
- 1 tsp chopped rosemary leaves
- 1 small chilli, seeded and chopped (optional)
- ¼ cup tomato paste
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tsp salt
- ground black pepper
- Preheat oven to 160°C. Rough chop the tomatoes, capsicums and onion and place them in a large roasting dish lined with baking paper. They need to be in a single layer so they roast and caramelise rather than stew, so use two roasting dishes if necessary.
- Add the garlic, rosemary leaves and chilli, if using. In a small bowl mix together the tomato paste, sugar, olive oil, salt and pepper. Spoon this mixture over the vegetables and stir through them to coat evenly.
- Bake for about 2 hours or until the vegetables are starting to caramelise and shrivel a little.
- Allow the vegetables to cool then purée in a food processor or blender. The sauce will keep in the fridge for up to a week or can be frozen. Alternatively, bring the puréed sauce to a boil and while it is very hot, pour it into sterilised jars and seal immediately. Sealed jars will keep for months in the pantry.