- 2 bunches asparagus, cut into 4cm pieces
- 2/3 cup finely grated pecorino, plus extra, to serve
- 1 tbsp baby capers, plus extra, to serve
- 1 lemon, rind finely grated, juiced
- 1 large garlic clove, chopped
- 1/3 cup walnuts, toasted
- 100g baby spinach leaves
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 375g wholegrain spaghetti
- Bring a large saucepan of salted water to the boil over high heat. Cook 1 bunch of asparagus for 3 minutes or until tender. Remove with a slotted spoon. Refresh under cold running water.
- Process cooked asparagus, pecorino, capers, lemon rind, garlic, 1/4 cup walnuts and 50g spinach in a food processor until finely chopped. With the motor running, add the lemon juice and oil until smooth and combined. Season well.
- Cook the pasta in the pan, adding the remaining asparagus for the last 1 minute of cooking time, or until al dente. Drain, reserving 1/2 cup cooking water.
- Return pasta mixture and reserved cooking water to the saucepan. Add the pesto and remaining spinach. Toss to combine. Divide among bowls and sprinkle with remaining walnuts, extra pecorino and fried capers, if using.