Tomato Soup – The Modern Day Gardener
These cooler evenings call for comfort food, and what better dish than soup. The Modern Day Gardener has shared with us her tomato soup recipe, using the last of her tomato harvest.
1kg tomatoes from the garden
2 tbsp vegetable oil
3 cloves garlic, peeled
1/2 tbsp cumin
Pinch of cayenne
2 cups of vegetable stock
165ml coconut cream
Salt & pepper to taste.
1. Preheat the oven to 180 degrees celcius and line a medium to large baking tray with baking paper or a reusable baking mat.
2. Rinse tomatoes and remove stems, roughly chop onion and garlic.
3. Place on the oven tray and add the oil, cumin, cayenne pepper, salt and pepper.
4. Mix until evenly coated and bake for 20-30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Tomatoes and onions should be caramelized.
5. In a large pot add the tomatoes, onion, garlic, vegetable stock and coconut cream.
6. Blend until smooth with a stick blender and heat on a medium to high heat and stir continuously. If you like your soup extra smooth strain with a sieve.
7. Once hot, taste and season with salt and pepper.
Serve hot with coconut yoghurt or sour cream and coriander or parsley.